PEER TUTORS: WHAT CAN THEY DO FOR YOU?
- Take attendance
- Collect and correct homework of class or individuals.
- Work with students who were absent for material.
- Read to students -- one on one
- Students read to them -- one on one
- Review test material with students.
- Go over poor test results -- one on one.
- Supervise the rewriting of tests.
- Prepare and implement remedial work with teacher's consultation.
- Assist in classroom.
- Assist with writing process.
- Lead small groups.
- Help with study skills.
- Provide regular workbook checks.
- Develop planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate effective learning skills.
COURSE OUTLINE: PEER HELPING
Many of the skills that are taught in this course will make you a better student in all of your courses. Often, the best way to learn how to do something is to try to teach another person to do it. These skills will also be used outside of the school as part of your continuing experiences of instruction and leadership.
Some of the major categories that you will find covered in this course are:
|Peer Helping||- developing confidence
- instructing a brand new topic
- tutoring students in first year
- helping students who are new to the school
- assisting students who feel left out of the school system
|Public Speaking||- leading a discussion
- speaking in front of a group
- learning how to listen and respond
- organizing a presentation
|Organization||- planning your time efficiently
- developing healthy study skills
|Thinking Skills||- understanding the reading and
- understanding and planning for different learning styles
- observing and practicing different teaching styles
- demonstrating different leadership styles
|Independent Study||- learn how to research new information
on your own
- planning for due dates and deadlines
- bring your own information to others
It will be based upon the following:
Public Speaking and Presentation Skills, Final Exam, Tutoring Journals, Independent Study, Evaluation by classroom teacher.
Each tutor will be required to complete a written journal for each tutoring session. These journals will be completed daily and handed in weekly.